The Government of India has been issuing and updating the guidelines for international arrivals to ensure travelers’ safety. Provided by the central government, these guidelines are the minimum benchmark.
Moreover, the states are permitted to impose additional quarantine restrictions and isolation according to the field evaluation after passengers’ arrival.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has withdrawn the need for institutional or home quarantine if these passengers submit a Covid19 negative certificate from an RT-PCR test conducted within 72 hours before the travel.
Before Planning for Travel
- India’s government has instructed travelers to submit a self-declaration form on the online portal (www.newdelhiairport.in) at least 72 before the scheduled travel or hand it over offline post-arrival to the respective health counters.
- It is essential to submit an undertaking online (on the portal) or offline (at the airport) to the Ministry of Civil Aviation, India, before traveling. This is a consent of adherence to the appropriate government authority’s decision to undergo facility/home quarantine/ self-monitoring of their health for the specified number of days.
- Only under indispensable circumstances/reasons, for instance, pregnancy, death in the family, serious illness, and mother/father with a kid of age 10 years or below may get a permit to be home quarantined for 14 days.
Note: If you desire to apply for the above-mentioned exemption, you should apply online on the portal (www.newdelhiairport.in) at least 72 hours prior to boarding. The final decision will lie in the hands of the Government of India.
- Travelers with negative RT-PCR test reports might get the exemption from institutional quarantine after submitting it to the respective authorities. This test should be recently conducted within 72 hours prior to undertaking the journey. The test report should preferably be uploaded online on the portal or otherwise produced at the entry point Airport of India. All the passengers shall submit the self-declaration concerning the report’s authenticity; if found otherwise, criminal prosecution will be liable.
- International passengers who desire to have an exemption from institutional quarantine and do not have an RT-PCR negative certificate can undergo RT-PCR testing at the airports. (where such provisions are available)
- All the passengers who preferred exemption from quarantine shall self-monitor their health for the next 7 days and get exempted from quarantine.
Note: 7 days of mandatory institutional quarantine and 7 days of home quarantine is compulsory for the international travelers whose RT-PCR negative certificate is missing and didn’t take the RT PCR test at the airport (if the airport provided one).
- All the tickets shall have a Dos and Don’ts list delivered by the airlines/agencies to the travelers.
- Aarogya Setu is an application informing about and tracking the pandemic in India. It’s a must-have on the traveler’s cell phone.
- Only asymptomatic travelers will be allowed to board after the thermal screening, at the moment of boarding the flight.
- The airport should be taking the right precautions, i.e., sanitation and disinfection.
- Social distancing and sanitation are the other precautions that should be taken care of while boarding.
- People who didn’t fill the self-declaration form prior on the portal must fill the same in the flight; a duplicate of the same shall be given to Health and Immigration officials present at the airport.
- Right measures, precautions to be followed, and awareness about Coivd-19 shall be announced at the airport, in fights, and while transiting.
- Airline staff, crew, and passengers must ensure all the required precautions such as wearing masks, hygienic surroundings, respiratory hygiene, hand hygiene, etc.
- Deboarding/getting off should be performed with social distancing.
- Thermal screening of all the passengers is to be done under the eye of health officials at the airport. Travelers should have a duplicate copy of the filled self-declaration form in their hands to show it to the airport health staff.
- Immediate isolation is to be done if any passenger shows any symptoms of Covid-19 while screening or shall be taken to the medical facility as per the health protocol.
- As mentioned above, people who are immune from institutional quarantine shall display the same to the respective State Counters on their cell phones/other modes prior to getting a permit for home quarantine for 14 days after the thermal screening.
- People who already have RT-PCR negative certificates in their hands shall be privileged and are free to leave undertaking self-monitoring of their health for 14 days.
- A list of the national and state-level surveillance officers and respective call center services numbers will be given to all such passengers; if they develop any symptoms while self-monitoring or quarantined, they can and should inform the respective authorities.
- All other passengers will be taken to institutional quarantine facilities, managed by respective State/UT Governments for the mandatory seven days institutional quarantine and 7 days home quarantine.
- The following passengers will go through institutional quarantine for a minimum time span which is 7 days:
o Tested according to the ICMR protocol.
o If they are found to be asymptomatic/ pre-symptomatic/ very mild cases, they will get a permit to be home isolated or isolated in the COVID Care Centre (both public & private facilities) as appropriate.
o Admission to the COVID Health facilities is the first step that shall be taken if a person has mild/moderate/severe symptoms.
o They will be released and shall be advised to self-monitor their health for the next 7 days, if & when detected negative.
Arriving at seaports/ land ports
All the protocols are exactly the same as above for the international passengers who prefer coming from seaports/land ports except one protocol which is, that online registration is not an option for such passengers at present. Hence, these passengers should submit the self-declaration form to the Government of India’s concerned authorities at the seaports/land ports at the time of arrival.
Note: Do remember to check if your concerned states have any additional restrictions enforced regarding quarantine and isolation as per their field assessment post the arrival of passengers.