- Dr. Mohamed Rela is a renowned Indian surgeon and proficient in liver transplantation and hepatopancreatobiliary surgery.
- He has so far performed more than 4500 liver transplant surgeries.
- Dr. Rela is the Chairman and Director of Dr. Rela Institute and Medical Centre, India.
- Dr. Rela is a Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation at the King’s College Hospital, London.
- His name is entered into the Guinness Book of Records in 2000 for performing successful liver transplantation for a five-day-old girl in 1997.
- He carried out the first living-related Liver Transplant on a patient with severe Liver Failure in the United Kingdom.
- He was instrumental in setting up the “Institute of Liver disease and transplantation” at Global Gleneagles Health City in 2009.
- He pioneered the technique of Split Liver Transplantation where one deceased donor liver is split into two and transplanted into two different individuals simultaneously.
- He also participated as part of a team from King’s College Hospital, London, which did liver transplant(s) six times for a patient to save her life by doing a bone marrow transplant.
- Dr. Rela received his M.B.B.S and M.S degrees from the Stanley Medical College, Chennai.
- In 1986, he received another M.S degree from Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- In 1988, he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons.
- Currently, Dr. Rela works in India, where he set up a successful Living Donor Liver Transplant program performing over 250 liver transplants a year.
Dr Mohamed Rela
Book Your Appointment
About Dr Mohamed Rela
List of Treatments
- Liver Transplantation
- Hepato-Biliary Surgery
- Split Liver Transplantation
- Auxiliary Liver Transplantation
- Resection for HCC in Cirrhotic patients
- Cholangiocarcinoma for Liver Resections
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer